From:
Ruth Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jun 1996 01:09:21 -0400
my son had reactions WORSE than the post antibiotic rashes he got post -op
and it forced me to look into different nystatin formulations look in the
PDR for "other" ingredients. I found the ointment form to have fewer other
ingredients such as found in the CREAM forms of nystatin AS found :
"perfumed base ? titanium dioxide, propylene  glycol, cetearyl alcohol,
ceteareth-20,white petrolatum, sorbitol solution, glyceryl monostearate
sorbic acid, simethicone Now I'm not a pharmacist or a chemist but you
don't have to be a rocket scientist (and we have lots of them where I live)
to know someone is bound to react to one or more of these stabilizers and
preservatives. Some folks are reactive to the triamcinolone acetonide often
prescribed in a formulation with nystatin such as Mycolog II etc. as my son
appeared to be since he does great with follow up with plain  azole type
antifungals like clotrimazole, or Terazole (terconazole?).
        My favorite form of nystatain is OINTMENT form ie: by Westwood-squibb
nystatin,polyethylene-mineral oil base period....thats it !  DR Hale do you
have any comments on the reactivity of these various components ??

Dr Hale if you are listening, I thought clotimazole was poorly absorbed
through the GI tract is this true or am I imagining things ??? Also many
Medical Professionals are recommending Lotimin AF (athletes foot) treatment
for nipples and diaper regions I'm concerned that the formulations for
Non-mucous membranes like Feet Are NOT appropriate for tissues like nipples
and perineums. am I over-reacting to the potential for OVER-REACTION of
these creams on friable epidermal tissues that DO NOT FORM CALLOUSES (like
feet)...