From:
Jennifer Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 18:51:59 -0700
Hello to all,
For those who may recall the baby I asked about several weeks ago who
was under birth weight at 5 wks and pedi was not concerned, the baby was
up 2 lbs 2 ozs when finally weighed again at 8 wks. Mom never totally
disposed of the pacifier but has limited use of it.
I also wanted to relay 4 experiences I have had in my last 2 nights at
work.
1) I was caring for a teen mom with a milk allergy who was planning to
formula feed. I discussed how bf reduces allergies, is easier, healthier
and cheaper and she replied that for her formula is easier and cheaper
as she receives WIC. While it is likely this baby will never receive a
drop of breastmilk, I was able to educate some of the nurses on the unit
about how WIC works (or doesn't).
2) I was caring for another teen mom who had indicated she was planning
to formula feed. I asked why and (through a translator--mom was Laotian)
she stated she had genital warts and did not want to expose the baby via
bf. I explained about the immunological benefits of breastmilk. The
interpreter told me that she said, "Well, when you put it that way, I
guess I have to breastfeed." Baby latched well and nursed eagerly, and
there was wonderful, visible bonding.
3) I asked a special care nursery nurse who was temporarily working on
our labor and delivery unit if any of the babies in the nursery ever
received donor milk. She stated there are no milk banks due to concerns
about Hep B and HIV. HUH? I told her about HMBANA, where our closest
bank is, and a little about donation and milk preparation procedures.
4) There is a new medical student on our unit. She was asking me how
many of our moms have epidurals (> 75%) and stated that labor must be
dreadfully painful. I talked to her a little about natural birth and
encouraged her to learn about other ways of birthing & coping with labor
besides what she has been seeing on our unit (try to watch a video,
etc.) An anesthesiologist overheard and said that epidurals are the way
to go and that babies who are born to moms who have had epidurals do
BETTER after delivery as they have not been exposed to "all that
adrenaline." I was too dumbfounded to respond.

I swear, sometimes I feel like I am from a different planet than most of
those around me. Beam me up, Scotty.

Jennifer Williams
L&D nurse until that blessed day I will be a midwife
San Diego