From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 01:05:21 GMT
Hi Chris
If the baby did not nurse from birth, but rather acted "nipple confused"
[which I would not call it that if baby had never been exposed to artificial
nipples and never really established bf] then I suggest that something is
not normal with this baby, and was not from the start. A baby who won't
nurse, can't nurse. It could very well be a dislocated or subluxated piece
of anatomy, but that is not my area of expertise, so I would have to refer
at this point. Either continue with the chiro or go to a PT or cst
therapist. Or a good pediatrician that will explore this. Maybe it is a
nerve injury [facial]?. I had a pt once who ended up finally being dx with
torticollis and finally nursed after 16 wks. Obviously your case is a tough
one, with several LCs not "curing" them either.
so...I would refer out, and then do my LC thing which is to (as you well
know of course) 1. feed the baby -easiest method would be my suggestion, 2.
support the supply, 3. finally get the 2 bf together, all the while (as
Barbara Wilson-Clay says) keeping the baby oriented to the breast, eg skin
to skin, kangaroo care, etc. All the while of course offering emotional
support in this difficult case. Hope this helps some and hope someone out
there can help you help this baby.

p.s. congrats to all new and recertified ibclc's, and welcome all new
lactnetters, you will likely continue on the lactnet progression from lurker
to lactnetter to lactnut.

Laurie Wheeler, RN, MN, IBCLC
Violet Louisiana, s.e. USA