From:
"Susan E. Burger" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 11:11:05 -0500
I've been a little slow on the uptake with a totally miserable cold
acquired from my son's nursery school.  Wish I were breastfed and had some
extra immunity right now.

I have to say I am constantly amazed at how health care practitioners in
the United States can sometimes be so far behind what has been common
practice in developing countries for the 20+ years I've been working in
International Development.  I don't know how many campaigns I have seen in
countless countries to encourage women to continue to breastfeed as much or
more during diarrhea AND use oral rehydration.  Its so well accepted that I
was at a loss for which references (there are so many that you'd have to
narrow your search) would be best to suggest.  My first thought was to look
at what WHO and UNICEF currently have to say, but I guess my bias is that
here in the US, we think that info isn't for us.

Being sick and somewhat lazy I took advantage of the fact that ILCA just
sent me information on their new position paper on Infant Feeding During
Emergency Conditions (I still remember calling up CNN in a snit during the
last Gulf War over their ridiculous coverage of how terrible it was that
the infant milk factories were destroyed and futilely tried to explain that
this was probably a GOOD thing because they might breastfeed rather than
die from diarrhea).  While checking out the paper on emergency conditions I
also checked out their position paper on Infant Feeding had pertinent
references to health care practitioners who recommend discontinuing
breastfeeding during diarrhea.

Check out:
"Point 30. Research indicates that infants with diarrhea recover faster if
human milk is provided."  There are some very good references that you can
start with.

Maybe I'll have the energy to check out the American Academy of Pediatrics
site on the topic as well.

Best regards, Susan Burger