From:
Barbara Latterner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2005 13:32:08 EST
To all who responded to my post on mom with hives and use of benadryl and
zyrtec,
your help was much appreciated.  I just received a call from the mom I wrote
about yesterday and she dc'd the benadryl last evening and went back on
methylprednisolone, 36 mg, , continued zyrtec with a bit higher dose, and is back to
breastfeeding.  She unfortunately did give about an ounce of formula
yesterday as she ran out of expressed milk she'd had.  She plans to discuss her
treatment with her allergist and bemoans the fact that breastfeeding isn't taught in
med school.  She also did note a drop in supply by evening but says it seems
fine now; I did encourage extra fluids for a couple of days and frequent
breastfeeding.  I had also suggested yesterday that she breastfeed after pumping (
since she was going through with the meds at that time) which she did in the
evening after discontinuing the benadryl; she said baby was pretty miserable
all day without nursing.  Kathy Leeper, a special thanks to you from mom for
your words had an impact on her since she mentioned your post a couple of times.
I am grateful for everyone's help.  If you want to know what was said by
Hale, Newman and Nice please email me privately as posts are long.

Tommorrow she goes to have a frenotomy for her baby (which she had to insist
upon).  This was the first medical roadblock she encountered after I initially
saw her about a month ago.

Barbara Latterner, BSN, RN, IBCLC
Brewster, NY