Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 1997 13:26:05 -0600
Hello! I would like to introduce myself--I am a new LLL Leader in
Pensacola, FL and am happy to be able to participate in this list after a
couple of years of only lurking. :-)

I have a question that was spurred on by the oxytocin discussion. When I
had my baby 3 months ago, I was put on oxytocin postpartum thru IV due to
what the nursing staff said was excessive bleeding (my OB was later irate
about this but that's another story.) I was on pitocin from right after
birth until about 8 hours later.  What effect would postpartum pitocin have
on nursing, if any?

I happened to have had  my milk come in within 24 hours and then had the
worst case of engorgement I have ever seen for 3 days, then went on to have
severe ovceractive letdown, and I am curious as to whether the pitocin
might have played a role in any of these.

This postpartum  pitocin IV seems to be routine at my hospital and I would
love to have some ammo against it and know whether it could affect
breastfeeding.

Thanks

Karen ~ LLL Leader, Pensacola, FL