From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 2009 10:00:12 -0500
Dear Friends:

Disconnect shows up in all of our lives. Fleur makes this comment in her
latest post "...........I agree that there are always going to be parents
who are given accurate information but choose not to believe it."

It is people that disconnect, healthcare providers as well as parents. All
of us as well as all of "them"......

I am remembering a class I was leading for a group of healthcare
professionals. I had just presented a lovely collection of evidence about a
particular topic, starting with the Cochrane Collaborative and citing other
research too. A participant in the class practically jumped to her feet,
saying "I know what the evidence says...........and I don't believe it!!"

Many healthcare providers complain about mothers from "certain cultures"
that won't breastfeed the first few days after birth, until the milk volume
has increased. These mothers say "I don't have milk" or "the milk is bad" or
"I'll breastfeed when I get home." Healthcare providers lament about "those"
women.  When one asks these very same providers and practitioners what
happens in their hospital when a baby  is deemed to need supplementation (as
with jaundice or hypoglycemia)  the most common response is that the baby
gets formula. Not only are there "those" women that don't believe in newborn
milk, the healthcare system in the US doesn't believe in it either. What
with a lack of trust in newborn milk and with licensed staff giving away
free samples of formula when the dyad is discharged, why would any mother
breastfeed?

It's amazing that we have as many women breastfeeding in the US as we do!

Someday, a baby  in need of supplementation will be either  put skin to skin
with its mother, and fed milk she expresses, or it will be put skin to skin
and people will give it time to breastfeed, or it will be given donor milk
from a safe, approved source.

The good news is that 77 US hospitals are Baby-Friendly.....only about 2,900
more to go.

warmly,

Nikki Lee RN, BSN, MS, IBCLC, CCE, CIMI
craniosacral therapy practitioner