From:
Susan O'hara-Brill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 2014 08:55:25 -0400
Pamela,

I am not a lawyer but my husband is a freelance graphic artist and he has had a handful of bouts with clients about who owns the work.

Here in the US, when he is commissioned to do a piece of work, unless the client makes it a condition to buy the artwork outright, they are free to publish the art in the agreed place, further use needs to be negotiated, and the artist owns the copyright meaning he can use it any way he likes. Most of the work is not generally the kind of stuff that is useful in other formats but you never know; and he can & does use it to promote his work. I don’t know how it works in the UK or if that is relevant to your article but I think it is important to think in terms of who owns the work rather than who owns the publication.

Susan O'Hara-Brill, IBCLC
Chatham Lactation Services
chathamlactation.com