Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 13:28:06 +0200
Alexis,
Thanks for emanating the info regarding Rob Reiners site. It led me to another number of very interesting sites regarding policy and programs for 0-3 years of age.

I am, however, very surprised at your reaction. I did read most of the information written and was thrilled at the mention of the ONLY feeding method - nursing. A bottle was never mentioned and in the "Birth to Two Months" section - a number of important emotional and motor development factors were referred to:
QUOTE
Infants know the smell of their mother's milk. One researcher placed three-day-old infants on their
     backs and placed breast pads from their mothers and from other nursing women on either side of
     their heads. The infants turned toward the smell of their own mothers. Smell is one of the first
     connections newborns make with their mothers. Within seconds of the time that a newborn smells
     his or her mother, indelible networks of attachment and recognition are formed in the brain.
UNQUOTE

In the section "Three a.m." there is a comparison of a mom waking to her infant with all positive feelings, and a mom who wakes up cranky and miserable as she anticipates having to get up at this ungodly hour and tend to a baby. AGain, there was no talk of feeding other than bf.  IMHO the message is clear. Nursing is the way a baby is nurtured and it is brought out as the totally natural way to do things. The acceptance of this in his site is commendable.

I was very impressed with Rob Reiners care and it seems that well connected people are doing some very important work. Chances are slim of anything coming from there ($$) to Israel, but I would definitely recommend any of you out there in the USA who do run support groups or playgroups or alternatives to "formal" preschool education to contact them and do some NETWORKING. We all know of the importance of first attachment and the effects of everything that he is saying there, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if there would be some opportunities for funding. Good luck. and again, Thanks Alexis.