Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 2008 13:00:19 EDT
Our Diane W says:

<<I will be *utterly amazed* if there's research showing that  firstborns =
are nursed longer.  I'm sure they get more "intellectual  attention," =
just because they're a novelty and there are fewer parental  =
distractions, but in almost all the families I've known - through  =
family, friendships, and LLL - breastfeeding is influenced more by  =
mainstream cultural voices the first time, but less with each subsequent  =
child as we realize that the mainstream culture doesn't know what it's  =
talking about.  Has that been others'  experience?>>
I completely agree with Diane.  And, in fact, when I'm  taking a maternal
history, it is rare for second borns to be nursed less time  than first borns.
My own mother (N of 1) nursed me for 2 weeks, my sister  for 6 months, the next
one (brother) for 9 month and the last (sister) for 12  months.

I nursed each of my three children longer with each subsequent  child.  (So
now I have an N of 2 -- except both my sisters did the same  thing -- one has
four children, one has 3) which brings my family now to an N of  4.

I think you find out how much easier it is, and the thought of  preparing
bottles when you have 3 year old twins going in opposite directions is  difficult
at best.

What I find women don't/can't do with subsequent children is  *work at* the
breastfeeding as hard -- for example, the mother I just saw has a  low milk
supply, and she is having a hard time finding time to pump.  With  her first, she
said she would nurse AND pump 8 to 10x/day for 15 to 20 to even  30 minutes.
With this second baby, having a three year old, she is lucky  if she pumps 3
to 4 times a day.

Would love to hear experiences of others with  this.

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC
Wheaton IL