From:
Melissa Vickers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 1995 00:23:26 EDT
Hi, all. A couple of thoughts on nipple shields--I've used them rarely, but only
as a last resort, and only with clear instructions that include WHY it is best
not to use them for long periods. It is a tool like many others we have at our
disposal, and if that is the one thing that will get a baby to the breast, then
it is worth a try. The lock and key solution seems like a good one for
hospitals, especially where they are understaffed (!), undereducated (about
breastfeeding), and desperate to get baby on before he goes home.

Isn't it Paula Meier who uses them frequently with premies and has had good
success in this population? Seems like she couples that with pumping
simultaneously from the other breast so that supply and flow are kept up perhaps
in spite of the nipple shield. Did I dream this??

It's funny that everytime nipple shields are mentioned around groups of
lactation consultants--there seems to be a bunch of "closet" nipple shield
users. That, to me, is an indication that there are reasons that their use might
be okay and that perhaps the bad rep they have has more to do with misuse than
proper use--and proper use with the knowledge of potential risks.

One more unrelated note, while the abbreviations (IMHO, ROFL, etc) are cute,
given the growth rate of Lactnet, there will always be new folks who don't have
a clue what those mean, which means if we use them, we will continually be
reading (and PAYING for--at least some of us) "what does this mean?"  followed
by multiple posts to explain. Not to mention that some of our members for whom
English may not be their first language, and certainly not the Americanized
slang, it may be even more bewildering.
 We need to remember that we are a diverse group with different professional
backgrounds and different terminology in some cases. Let's not thwart the
communication with abbreviations other than the absolute obvious (like "bf" for
breastfeeding?). Am I out of line on this one?

Thanks!

Melissa Vickers, IBCLC
75472.13572compuserve.com