From:
Karen Meade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 2004 16:51:05 -0500
Ann wrote:

"Well, I've got it in my head to approach this pediatric office around
the corner from my home to see if I can see some of their patients for
bfeeding help, or teach classes, etc.  However, upon going to their
website, I am disturbed by their info for infant feeding information and
how formula slanted  they are, as well as giving much incorrect bfeeding
info.  (Dry off your nipples??!!) They refer to the "pain" of bfeeding
and more.  Dare I  entertain the thought of working with their many
pediatricians in this office  while keeping my sanity?  It seems so
overwhelming and intimidating to  me.  Will I regret ever
walking through their door?  Opinions  welcome!"

Oh my, Ann! Seems to me that you might need to help this practice's
physicians -- not just their patients! I wonder how many of the patients
are actually breastfed successfully for any length of time. After
reading this horrible info, I'd personally feel morally obligated to
offer my services there! I'm not an IBCLC though (yet) so I can't begin
to give you any tested ideas for getting started. I know if my kids were
patients there (I'm a LLL Leader), I'd just try to educate the doctors
each time I went for an appointment. I'd also ask to leave some tear-off
sheets and other LLL pubs for their patients to peruse -- in hopes that
the doctors might look at them too. Maybe you could offer to give them a
one page hand out (with your contact info on it, of course) to give to
their patients -- some breastfeeding basics, if you will -- as a way to
get your foot in the door.

Karen Meade, LLL Leader in Eastern PA, USA, and mom to 3 breastfed
children including my toddler nursling Daniel -- and very glad I no
longer live in Raleigh (I'm an NC State grad) if this is the kind of bf
advice I'd get from my pediatrician!