Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Aug 2014 17:17:06 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
I can understand where you are coming from.  But those of us who work around tertiary centers where we are encouraging ALL mothers and babies to breastfeed, not just the ones where it is easy, need the higher level of expertise and care and personal assessment that comes from experienced IBCLC's.   As a retiring consultant, I can safely say that one of the big needs is MORE expert care, not less for those cases.  The first-line LE's (which is a better term to me than CLC), should be competent to help with simple latch, the easy management and early support, but they should also be competent enough to identify problems and refer on quickly, not allow a situation to devolve to where it is difficult to salvage.   They should know the risk factors, the old yellow and red flags, to get things on the right track.  IMHO.  A good model is understanding the normal so well that the abnormal sticks out like a sore thumb.  Just like good midwives do.   There is no substitute for book learning sealed with hands-on training.  My son is a welding instructor for the union here and his students are excellent because of this dual line of instruction.   Lactation Consultants should be no less well trained.  He says it takes 5 years to be minimally competent and 10 to be an expert in his field.  It should be expected no less in ours.  IMHO.  

-----Original Message-----

From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jacquie Nutt

Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2014 1:14 AM

Subject: CLC/IBCLC

Thanks for the clarification of Nikki's post, Karleen.  The CDC outline of the credential is, of necessity, brief. Knowing that the CLC course is a week long puts that into perspective.  It sounds a lot more within reach of people who may not have the breastfeeding background of the lay counsellors and IBCLCs.

I know that I wouldn't have met the pre-requisites for becoming an IBCLC under current regulations, or at least not without a lot of expensive

courses.   I think the IBCLC credential has perhaps gone in a different

direction from what was envisaged in the 1980s... maybe not a bad thing, but to many enthusiastic breastfeeding supporters these days, it seems like a mountain too hard to climb.

There is a role for several different niches of lactation support. As we know, even a supportive peer can help.  My first encouragement for successful breastfeeding came from a rather uneducated young mother when I was pregnant, and I remembered her words for years afterwards.

Often it boils down the individual's caring and ongoing education (to avoid giving misinformation), not necessarily the letters after her name.

However understanding what the letters mean indicates the level of help a person *should* be able to give.

Most of the mothers I see don't need a high level of skills, just support

to get over a small crisis of confidence.   And there is occasionally the

stuff that most of us encounter only a few times in a lifetime, ouch - "and that's what all the training was for!"

Best wishes

Jacquie Nutt  IBCLC

South Africa

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail

2. To start it again: set lactnet mail

3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet

4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2