From:
Diana Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2001 00:07:07 -0400
Dear Lactnetters,

I recently had a woman at my BFing class tell me that she had a mastitis a
couple of years ago when she wasn't pregnant.
I need help answering her question as to whether this puts her at greater
risk for developing a mastitis when breastfeeding after she delivers.
The other woman that I know who had this not-while-lactating mastitis never
got mastitis when she breast fed her singleton or twins.
Does anyone have any more information or experiences that can help me answer
her question?  (I did stress the importance of feeding long enough and often
enough to soften the breasts,not skipping feeds, and showed her how to do
breast massage,as well as stressing the importance of good latch to avoid
nipple injury which would cause a break in the integrity of the skin, etc.)
Thank you, Diana