From:
Kellie Whitney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2007 18:09:13 -0800
  Karyn-Grace,

  Nothing you posted was in any way offensive to me! I'll not attempt to speak for others, but I was not at all offended by your post.

  I was simply pointing out another approach that could be more feasable, especially here in the U.S.

  Although most of the mothers I know DO have access to resources to help them with breastfeeding issues, I know several who discontinued breastfeeding due to things like mastitis or "poor weight gain" (for example in an infant who continued to gain "poorly" after switching to formula, whose parents were both of small stature). Those mothers would have probably continued breastfeeding if their pediatrician or OB (whoever they saw for said issue) had an LC on staff to whom they regularly refered such issues. In fact, I have a close firend who discontinued breastfeeding due to mastitis and is now furious that she received such outdated advice. Next time, she will be more proactive! While it is important for parents to be informed, I hate it when they feel like they need to advocate strongly for the common sense solution when they baby's doc reccomends formula as the de facto cure-all. Perhaps an LC on staff would help to change that climate for some peds (most of those that I
 know are either quite knowledgable or refer to an IBCLC if they feel they are out of their depth). A pipe dream, I know.

  Kellie

  I am sorry I was not able to continue this discussion sooner=85I am actua=
lly=20
away on holiday and am using a borrowed computer. I will be honest and t=
ell=20
you that I lost a lot of sleep last night, as I worried that my words may=
have=20
offended people on this list.