From:
WACHSMUTH Mary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 2008 12:35:20 -0700
This is the first time I'm posting, but I've been reading LACTNET for
almost a year now, and I'm so appreciative of all of the knowledge that
I have been gaining from all of the wise people! I work for WIC, and I'm
hoping to become an IBCLC in the future.

I wanted to respond to Renee's post about her daughter's wanting of
breastmilk for her eczema. I am currently 39 weeks pregnant (yeah, one
more to go!), and I've developed a horrible pregnancy rash called PUPPS
that is SUPER itchy and doesn't go away until after the birth!! I've
tried all sorts of anti-itch creams, oatmeal, baking soda paste...
anything I could find on-line and through prescriptions my doctor to
help with it. Nothing seemed to help for more than an hour or two,
except the strong antihistamine that didn't help much with itching but
knocked me out enough to sleep for 2-3 hours. The rash started at 37
weeks, and by 38 weeks it seemed like I had tried everything. Since I
had already been leaking I decided to try to pump my colostrum to put on
it. Almost immediately the redness and itching started to go away and it
gave the longest relief. At that time the rash covered my entire belly
and hips. A couple of days after the trial of pumping, the rash had
spread to my breasts, butt, and starting down my legs. I decided to stop
the pumping as to not aggravate the rash on my breasts, and it was just
too much surface area to cover... but it did help a lot while I did it!!

(Sorry for going into so much detail... it's just SO annoying and
tiring!)

Mary Wachsmuth