Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2011 22:35:14 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (15 lines)
I became distraught today when a premie baby was ordered Neosure by the physician and when none was available I was told to "just get a can of powdered formula (from a local store) and mix it" by the pharmacy.  I explained that mixing formula on the floor meant contamination, too many variables from different people (shifts) mixing it and was never desirable for any baby, let alone an already comprimised premature baby.  I was literally laughed out of the pharmacy and told that "when they go home they will mix it in the same kitchen where they feed their cats and dogs".  The mother was also extremely ill and is not yet able to express much milk.  Almost in tears, I left the pharmacy and found someone in maintence who would drive to a sister hospital 30 minutes away to get ready to feed formula.  To me it seems like common sense that a hospital would never want to mix formula on the floor.  I need some references to it in the literature to take down to educate the pharmacists involved (now that my pulse rate has returned to normal).

Thanks from a brand new IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2