From:
Virginia Thorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Feb 1999 21:41:54 PST
   That's basically what I suggested for helping the let-down work when
tired or tense, in each of the 7 editions of Successful Breastfeeding
(the Australian one), 1974-1991.  Singing or humming.  It is good to see
that this is still being put forward as useful today.
    Another little trick of mine for helping the let-down to work, is
having the mother focus on her baby's hand against her breast, espec.
with the fingers curled under.  The baby starts drinking, and I point
out that the ldr has happened, and discuss how human babies often know,
after a few weeks, that gently pushing against the breast elicits a
let-down - the *human* equivalent of head-butting in the calf or goat
kid. A baby's little hand seems to have an emotional appeal, and
focusing on the hand, and not on something more obvious, has been a very
useful, sneaky little trick for my clients.
    Just thought I'd share this one.
       Cheers,
         Virginia
         Virginia Thorley, Brisbane, Australia