From:
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 2008 16:40:07 -0400
Dear all:

Women are routinely trained into being the "good girl".  This is appropriate in certain
circumstances and not others.

I could continue with a lot of sayings like "the squeaky wheel gets the grease", but
trading old sayings that may apply to some circumstances and not others is not the point.

Being "good" and "cooperative" doesn't always create change.  Nor does it always
succeed in business or any other endeavor in life.  No slave was ever freed by being
"good and cooperative".  Women were not "allowed" to vote by being "good and
cooperative".  One needs to think strategically when to use "good and cooperative" which
has its place and when to speak up.  I would not vote for a President merely on the basis
that they could "attract more flies with honey" and I can think of more than a few political
examples of the "honey-tongued" doing more harm than good.  You can be a "part of the
problem" if you are co-opted into maintaining the status quo rather than challenging it.

And I have to say Morgan and Karleen, brilliantly challenged the status quo.  I bet no one
on Lactnet is going to forget Karleen's talk thanks to Morgan and her introduction.

So, to give one great example of a leader that I'd like to follow, one of the senators for
the New York State legislature, Liz Krueger really had a lot of strategies when she was
trying to solve the problem that cropped up when a pediatrician was upset about women
not knowing they were allowed to breastfeed in public.  She really challenged us to come
up with the most we could ever ask for and wanted to use it for "log rolling".  Push hard
for something that you know other policy makers are not yet ready for, and then they will
feel like they compromised when they give you the thing you really wanted in the first
place.  Next time you go back to the bargaining table, you push beyond what you said the
first time, so you get the thing you asked for last time (that you initially thought was
beyond reach).

If we want others to take us seriously, we need to both be respectful AND at the same
time demand that we receive the SAME respect.

In this interest, we have now passed the deadline for revisions and I can tell you that the
New York Lactation Consultant Association developed TWIN bills of rights.  One for the
clients.  What they should expect from an International Board Certified Lactation
Consultant.  At the same time a bill of rights for the lactation consultants.  How we should
be treated by the client.  Each has 10 points including basic ethical and professional
guidelines. It has no teeth. BUT, if enough parents are given a copy they might start to
think about how they hire not just lactation consultants but other health care
practitioners.

Best, Susan Burger