From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Nov 1999 10:03:56 -0600
I think we've hashed this subject through thoroughly on LactNet, but that
may have been in the early days whose archives are now banished to
cyber-limbo.  As a *speaker* I must say I find baby noises much less
distracting/annoying/bothersome that the side conversations, especially by
people with their arms crossed high on their chests and frowns on their
faces, who turn to their neighbors and "whisper whisper whisper" after each
point I make.

Also, there are people who are attentive to their baby's needs and quickly
act to quiet them or remove them, and then there are people who are
oblivious to their baby's needs and who ignore them -- the latter are
annoying, but it isn't the presence of the baby that is the problem.

It is my humble opinion that babies should be allowed at conferences, and
that people with babies should sit in the back near the doors and people who
have trouble concentrating or hearing should sit near in the front, and that
the sound system should be excellent.

Kathy Dettwyler

P.S.  Thanks again to all who continue to send cards and gifts.  I had my
second chemo this week and it was not as bad as the first time, but it
coincided with the horrible tragedy we had here at A&M where 12 students
died in the collapse of the Bonfire they were building.  Prayers and good
wishes for all the families concerned are appreciated.