From:
Darillyn Starr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 1997 19:18:08 -0600
A while back, Jack told of a science project which included adding
bacteria to breast milk, pastuerized cow's milk, and formula.  The
bacteria grew in the formula, but not the breast milk or cow's milk.

I was not surprized to hear this, because I have long suspected that
the  extreme heat that formula is subjected to kills some things that
would be advantageous.

I am also horrified at the thought of the barley water, but I am happy
to have the fresh goat milk formula recipe.  It is similar to one I have
used very successfully with some of my adopted children, to supplement
my milk supply.

I do believe that it is inappropriate for the goat formula to be
suggested as an adequate replacement for breast milk.  But I think it is
often preferable to commercial formulas, especially for babies who
cannot tolerate the best ones, which are based on cow's milk.  And there
actually are babies who do much better on goat milk than they do on
cow's milk.

Aloha,
Darillyn