From:
Darillyn Starr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2006 08:32:30 -0600
I am a little hesitant to mention this, but I will, in case this mom gets to
the point where she has tried other things without results.  I developed
tears at the base of my nipples while I was nursing my fifth baby.  They
hung open like little smiles, and were deep enough that there was sometimes
a little milk in them, that was coming from inside the tear.  I struggled
with them for two months, coming to dread every feeding.  The tears would
always close between feeds, but rip open as soon as he latched on.  I tried
all kinds of things, with no change in them.  I even tried nursing on only
one side for 48 hours and just hand expressing that breast and keeping it
very well protected, to avoid putting any tension at all on the tear, hoping
that would give it time to heal.  It looked pretty good after that time but
again, as soon as he latched on, it tore open.

What finally took care of it was when I decided to try taking extra vit A
and E.  I suspect that, because I had lost my gall bladder a few years
before, I developed a deficiency in fat soluble vitamins.  The tears healed
very quickly, after I started taking the vitamins.  However, For the rest of
the time I was nursing Joseph, and then my sixth baby, Joanna, I had to take
the vitamins. If I forgot them for more than a few days, the same tears
would start to open up again, then just as quickly heal when I took them
again.

I know there are concerns about supplements of fat soluble vitamins but I
just want to share that as a possible idea for moms who have tried
everything else, without relief.  I think, if it gets to the point where a
baby is likely to be weaned from the breast much sooner than he might
otherwise, it is reasonable to start looking at potential risk versus
potential benefit with vitamins, as you would with medications.  I guess
another thing that could be done is to suggest that the mother try to add
foods with very high concentrations of fat soluble vitamins, rather than
supplements.

Whatever she does, I hope this poor mom finds relief, soon, because I know
how miserable it is!