From:
Leslie Cree <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2007 17:26:00 -0500
I have been avidly reading all the posts on this topic. I must say, Betsy, I
respectfully disagree with you that the formula-branded items used by nurses
are not noticed.  Every mother looks to some "authority" for guidance and
education in caring for baby, if not in one area, then definetly in another. If
the nurse uses a branded item, such as the tape measure you mentioned, the
image does stick.  The rep has been "good to you" by providing things that
your facility needs, and he has also been making sure that everyone on the
floor thinks of Similac as "infant nutrition". It is called subliminal advertising,
and because you think that most people don't notice, may be because it is
such a familiar part of the landscape.  What if all the things your rep provides
were suddenly gone? How soon do you think people would start asking for
them? What do you think they would ask for? Probably something like, "Why
hasn't Joe from Similac been in? We are out of tissues!" Those items are part
and parcel of their everyday job. Those little bottles, the nipples, the
pacifiers, the brand logo strategically placed around the breakroom on the
tissues, pads,  etc. Some may make a face, or apologize for using the item,
but when the day is done, they do use it and they accept that its use is
necessary and expected. Is using it once and throwing it away really "sticking
it to the man?" I don't think so. This is  a very tough issue because it does,
for most of us, boil down to economics. We need our jobs to support our
families. If you refuse to see the formula rep, they will just replace him with
someone else, so taking it out on him is not making any kind of statement
either. For those who work in a hospital and face this battle every day--I
know that there are mothers who are grateful for the breastfeeding assistance
they get, and that if you didn't work there someone less qualified just might.
So it is worth it to put up with that atmosphere to help these women.