From:
Osterholt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Feb 1999 21:26:58 -0600
As I was helping my 7th grader with her science, I came across this information:

Prentice Hall Science, Human Biology and Health, First Edition, 1993, page 237.

Talks about a Dr. Claire Veronica Broome and her work with the CDC (Center
Disease Control). The information mostly gives a profile of how these drs. are
disease detectives. They give an example of how she traced this epidemic of listeria.

She traveled to Halifax, Nova Scotia to study and outbreak of Listeria. They
don't give the year, but her discoveries led her to a farmer who used sheep
manure to fertilize cabbage. And both the sheep and cabbage contained the
listeria bacteria. The article states that Dr. Broome interviewed mothers of
sick babies and found that these moms had eaten coleslaw that was contaminated
with the bacteria.

This made me wonder about my practice of using cabbage leaves for engorgement.
Does anyone else have some information on this POSSIBLE dangerous practice.

In America, we currently are experiencing an outbreak of Listeria. Twelve
deaths so far contributed to hot dogs and milk.

Assunta Osterholt, IBCLC