Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 23:30:11 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (10 lines)
I've been following the conversation re: estrogen's and br.fdng as I have an interesting story to add to those already posted.  Fourteen years ago, my sister had her first baby who she planned to br.fd.  The pregnancy was difficult ( PIH), and the delivery was very traumatic.  Br.fdng was the one thing that seemed to be going ok.  Her public health nurse, who was also involved with LLL was a godsend.  At her first visit all was well.  When she went to her first check-up post partum, she was concerned re: vaginal dryness and painful intercourse.  The well meaning physician prescribed a cream for her to use.  After, I believe 2 wks. she had a very fussy distressed baby who suddenly was doing 24 hr around the clock nrsng. and she had a "strong feeling" something was wrong.  This was her first child, and she was a very inexperienced person when it came to being around babys.  After several days, she phoned her PHN, totally beside herself.  She came out to see my sister and  quickly determined her milk volume had plummeted and my nephew was "starving". "What's changed?" she wanted to know, and out came the cream.  To the nurses horror, he had prescribed a vag. ung that contained estrogen.  My sister quickly learned what KY jelly was.  The "drs." cream hit the trash can and with a lot of work, she was able to re-establish a decent milk volume and my nephew thrived, and was a much more contented baby.  So, any comments?
    Bonnie RN, IBCLC (this occurred a few years before I was employed in OBS)
    Wpg, Mb. Can and still snow free.

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2