Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 17:09:01 -0800
Hello,
    Yesterday the NICU Dr. asked me to find out some information about a
mother of 12 day old twin preemies.  The babies got staph and were very ill.
The other NICU Dr. ordered the mother's milk cultured.  It was cultured from
the milk she pumped and was found to be positive for staph.  The Dr. wants
to know if there is a certain # of bacteria that would be in the breast milk
naturally or is there a level that would make the milk a source of
contamination.
     The mother is not ill but was on Flagyl right after birth. I have asked
that they do a clean catch for the breastmilk culture and to culture the
breastpump.  (culturing the breastpump was refused!).We got the mom a new
pump kit and discussed hand washing. Of interest the head RN told me that
the RN caring for the babies got very sick the day after she had cared from
the babies.
      Also in this same NICU this week, a mom was not allowed to give her
milk to the baby because she had a fever and later when she was fever free
but had a slightly sore nipple and the milk was pink, it was  tossed. Our
NICU has improved in many ways but the head NICU Dr. is very
non-breastfeeding friendly.  He will not change any of these but maybe if I
can find studies he will consider a change.  I have researched
several books but not found anything on bloody milk being ok for preemies,
MOB fever ok to breastfeed or pump for her preemie and level of staph in
breastmilk. If anyone can help I would appreciate it very much.
Warmly,  Judith Markham IBCLC