From:
Janet Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Oct 1995 02:35:46 -0400
I agree wholeheartedly with those whose who want BF education in schools.
My 10 year old son knows more about BF than any of his classmates.  (He is in
the 4th grade)  Last year his 3rd grade class went on a field trip to the
county fair, and I offered to go along to help supervise.  I was told that
would be fine as long as I either sent my then 6 month old to a babysitter,
or bring along a bottle to feed him with.  The teacher was concerned that the
kids' parents might be offended to know that there was a BF mom there BF her
baby!  I even told the teacher that the kids wouldn't have a clue that I was
BF (I'm very good at that!  :)  ), but she said NO WAY!  How sad!  The class
got another mom to take my place, and she promptly lost one kid, then she and
her group missed the bus home!  They found the kid and everyone got home
safely, but that wouldn't have happened with me.  We BF moms are VERY smart,
you see!  :)
Anyway, my son sometimes gets tired of explaining to his friends what I'm
doing when they see me BF the baby.  He even asked one friend "Haven't you
ever seen a baby eat before?"  The friend said, "Yeah, but they eat from
bottles!"  Chris said, "Only the unlucky ones.  The lucky babies get their
moms milk.  I did.  Didn't you?"  His friend didn't know if he had been BF or
not.  Poor kid.  Chris has told me many times that when he grows up, gets
married and has kids his wife will BF their babies!  And if she says she
doesn't want to? I asked.   "Then I will tell her all the great things about
BF!  Then she'll want to give our kids the best!"
I sure love having a smart kid!
There must be some way to get BF education in the school system.  Using the
excuse that it will cause teens to want to have sex is ludicrous!  Quite
frankly, if teens want to have sex they will.  There is nothing, save good
parenting (and sometimes that doesn't work), that will stop them.  Not even
HIV.  Since we teach our children all about STDs, HIV, safe sex, how to use a
condom correctly etc.,  it seems only logical that they should know how to
have a healthier child thru BF, how to give themselves the benefits of BF,
and why BF is so important.  BF should be looked at as the natural follower
of pregnancy and the very best way to feed your baby, especially with teens.
 I feel that if more teens with babies BF, then they would have a closer bond
with their babies, be more responsible parents and have healthier kids.  The
rate of subsequent pregnancies may also be reduced.  Talk about saving the
public money in health care!
We teach our children the facts of life, how babies are made, nutrition, etc,
yet we neglect (or are embarassed) to inform them of the benefits of BF.  I
think our kids would respond to BF in their education classes in a positive
manner.  And if they were given the facts about ABM, I think they would do
the world a great favor when they came of age;  make sure that ABM is used
ONLY in those cases where there is NO MM (momma milk) for the baby.  Wouldn't
that be nice?
Anyway, sorry for rambling.  I feel strongly that our children have the RIGHT
to know where the beginnings of GOOD nutrition start.  It starts with BF,
IMHO.

Take care!
Jay