From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Oct 2011 11:56:45 +0200
It seems not many people actually followed the link Magda posted, preferring
instead to get involved in a hair-splitting discussion about the wording of
the Guardian headline.  This is regrettable but easily rectified.  I quote
from the Guardian article about how breastfeeding can reduce social
inequalities in health (disclaimer - the Guardian is my very favorite news
organ in the whole world and- unfortunately-  I have no financial interest
in it):

..."The coalition's social mobility strategy aims to ensure "everyone has a
fair opportunity to fulfil their potential, regardless of the circumstances
of their birth". A commission established to oversee the strategy has
devised a list of key indicators by which social mobility can be measured,
enabling the government to see where intervention could make the most
impact.

Researchers at the University of Essex's Institute of Social & Economic
Research and the University of Oxford have spent the past two years looking
at the impact of breastfeeding, excluding other factors such as social
class, home environment and parents' education." ...

Magda also mentioned the Baby-Friendly UK conference, (in which neither of
us have a financial interest) because one of the keynote speakers this year
is a senior police official from Scotland who drew attention when he said
that what was needed to combat crime was not more officers on the streets,
but more health workers to support parents of young children in giving them
a good start.

Don't let yourself be sidetracked by a peripheral matter pertaining to
wording.  Go to the source and see why the poster wanted to share a link
with the list.  I'm biased in this case because I have such respect for
Magda's work, but I generally try to get at the core of the post whenever
possible, especially if the subject line tweaks me the way this one did.

Here's the link again:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/oct/09/breastfeeding-link-to-social-mobility

Since the headline set so many of us off, it's worth asking whether it would
serve our purpose to make the headline equally provocative in the other
direction, if what we want is to preach to someone other than the choir.
How we treat our young children is a sensitive topic.  My opinion is that
when addressing parents, it's worthwhile to do so tactfully and honestly, in
that priority.  I don't always manage but I always wish I did!

Rachel Myr, Kristiansand, Norway