From:
Jodie Drum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 2010 12:05:50 -0400
I have permission to post and have first searched the archives, but hoping for something more specific.
Have worked with this particular mom for a while now, she is what I can a "producer". She makes making milk look easy and has quite the freezer full.
Without going into too many details, suffice it to say her baby has a lot going on and has been hospitalized more then home and this pattern may continue for a while. Also mom has been back at work for a while; she is really juggling a lot.
Mom has only ever pumped, baby (really) cannot attempt oral feedings. At this point in time mom is trying to taper away from pumping. On her own, from what we had discussed a couple of months ago, she gradually cut herself down to twice a day (I think her peak was 6 times a day) but says by the time she pumps she is so full and so uncomfortable .... mom decided to call me this morning to bounce ideas off me.

In theory we both know what is supposed to work, but ....

Mom cannot take oral contraceptives due to health history.
We considered peppermint and sage several months ago for just managing oversupply, but mom never tried them.
The questions we are left with are;
For women like her - overproducers - what kind of a time frame is she looking at for things to 'settle down' completely?
How much fullness and pain is really necessary and helpful?
Would she be better off to pump for very short times 3 or 4 times a day instead of about 10 min 2 times a day?
(she says 10 min is the minimum she feels she can do to get 'relief')
Are things like peppermint and sage potent enough for a situation like this, are they more potent when used together?
Maybe sudaphed?
How about cabbage leaves?

hoping for someone with a similar experience to reply

Thanks in advance and thanks (again) for the superb help eariler this week  = )

From thunderstormy Washington D.C.
Jodie