Date:
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 13:59:26 EDT
Pat asks,

> Does anyone know when this began? When my little brother was born in
> hospital there were no gifts. "Everyone" was bottle feeding back then.
>
> Did the "gifts" begin when formula began to have some real competition? Is
> there anyone on this list who had a baby in a hospital before there were
> the formula samples given? Or when they were just beginning?

I'm not sure when the gifts to mothers began, but the free formula to
hospitals started with Pet Milk in the 1930's.  (Apple, Mothers & Medicine,
p. 83).

In 1974 when Jill was born, I don't remember getting free formula, but I do
remember getting free gift bags full of other "stuff" - tiny bottles of baby
shampoo, baby powder, excedrin, baby oil and coupons beyond coupons.  If I
got any formula (maybe I did), it was in a box with a rattle, certainly not
in a diaper bag.

I don't remember giving any gifts out to mothers in the mid 1960's when I was
in nursing school.  But then my OB experience was not something I cared to
remember, so perhaps I've forgotten it.....

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC -- Wheaton IL
Lactation Education Consultants
www.lactationeducationconsultants.com