Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Aug 2005 09:14:13 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (81 lines)
Following my message is a note I received and have permission to share in its entirety...

However, in the interest of avoiding flames, I want to preface this message with a clarification - these policies are NOT meant to replace the Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative's Ten Steps - but were developed as a result of a great deal of discussion, meetings and hard work of some excellent people who DO believe in the "baby friendly" goals, but had seen that it was not being recieved by their local hospitals.

The wording has been modified very carefully to make them as "hospital centered" as possible - additional policies would be needed to address the prenatal and the post discharge care, and these would not be HOSPITAL policies.  

The eventual goal is to assist California hospitals in getting these policies under their belt - then letting them know how close they are to meeting the requirements of Baby Friendly and encourage them to apply for it!  

My job is now to develop a "toolkit" which will also be on-line, to help those who want to implement these policies...

So my secondary motive in sharing the information in the following message is also to request (from those of you who would not mind your materials being included in a web-based toolkit - please do NOT share copyrighted materials with me unless I can use them in this way) materials that can be used or websites to which we can link hospitals that are looking for additional materials and research.  

For example, if you have a GREAT charting method for nurses and LCs to communicate, or a GREAT handout explaining to moms why pacifiers are not helpful - please share them with me!

Please e-mail them to me at my work: [log in to unmask] (yes, no "a" at the end of this e-mail name)

When I have the toolkit on-line (notice I didn't say "finished" as it will be on-line so we can add to it as needed), I'll let you know!

Jeanette Panchula,BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC

California

Message follows:  

Hello everyone, 

This is so exciting. The Model Hospital Policy Recommendation Committee members are pleased to announce that the 2005 revision of Providing Breastfeeding Support: Model Hospital Policy Recommendations is now posted on the MCH website http://www.mch.dhs.ca.gov/programs/bfp/ The committee has worked closely with the State Breastfeeding Promotion Advisory Committee and the California Department of Licensing and Certification to prepare a document that is consistent with the guidelines of the United States Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative, American Academy of Pediatrics and Title 22. 

Those groups have contributed significantly in its development, as has the State WIC Branch. The sub-committee of the Inland Empire Breastfeeding Coalition has done a tremendous amount of work and persisted over the last 4 years in seeing this document through to completion. Please pass this information on to those at your facilities that would like to download this more updated copy of the Model Policies. 

Please contact me if you have any questions. 

Gretchen Page MPH,CNM

Program Manager

Regional Perinatal Programs of California

Just For Moms (CPSP)

Loma Linda Medical Center/Children's Hospital

(909)558-3973 

[log in to unmask] 

Model Policy Committee Members

Fran Snavely, Chairperson

Gretchen Page, Co-chairperson 

Gretchen Andrews

Donna Erlewine

Carol Melcher

Aida Rodriquez

Bruce Smith

Geri Zvenbergen

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2