Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Nov 1998 23:06:54 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (6 lines)
Did you know that breastfeeding puts women and their child in "precarious" and dangerous situations? This according to a supervisor at a Alcohol and Drug recovery center. She requested a woman breastfeeding in the lobby go into a private room (which she unlocked just for her) to breastfeed. when talking about it to me she stated that her clientele were men in various stages of recovery and they may not view breastfeeding as the beautiful, natural, innocent act that it is (I guess she was suggesting the sexuality of it here). and the woman was putting her self and her baby "at risk". As if the men would rape her in the lobby or parking lot. I was so angry with her! I wonder how her clients would feel if they knew that she thought breastfeeding would unleash some violent sexual behavior in them. I did let her know (ever so gently) that I did not think she had the right to determine whether this was a precarious situation and we have a law protecting breastfeeding in California and this mom can pursue the issue of violation of her rights. The mom was Mexican and spoke some English, so there are possibly some other discrimination issues here. I felt that she most likely would not have approached me, being white, and tried to kick me out. Boy I just WISH someone would tell me to go elsewhere! Perhaps if I nursed the twins (now 2 years) in public someone would say something?
Patty Murphy 
S. Lake Tahoe, California USA
Glad that we have a breastfeeding protection law to flaunt in their face!
I am waiting to speak to the mom who I requested write it all down for future reference.

ATOM RSS1 RSS2