From:
Cathy Bargar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Feb 1999 23:44:50 -0500
Jane writes, re: her mom with a breast abscess & surgeon who said she
"couldn't" BF after I&D: "Any comments, ideas on what I could have done
differently? I have not spoken to the surgeon, but would like to? Any
research on this? Any help would be appreciated."

Jane, I understand your frustration on this - another example of "whose baby
is it anyway?" Not to mention "whose body?"! But as to what more you
coulda-woulda-shoulda done, it sounds to me you did exactly what was within
your power to do. I keep thinking about this poor woman going through all
that pain and stress, and I'm picturing this woman who's just all worn out
from everything she's had to go through with this, and it's so unfortunately
easy to see how she just did what the surgeon said to do. You know, we all
think he gave bad advice (or orders, more like it!) based on a poor
knowledge of physiology and lactation (as Jack so succinctly noted), but
ultimately the decision WAS hers, whether she is able at this stage to own
it or not. So you did what you could do, and I'll bet you did it well, and
I'll bet you didn't leave her feeling stupid or bullied either. I've never
had a breast abscess, but I can easily imagine it hurting enough that I'd be
afraid to nurse.

Does she know that it's not too late to nurse at least on the other side if
she would like to? Or is it a closed issue for her? It's so sad that women
have to fight "authorities" at a time when they are in pain and need!

Cathy Bargar, RN, IBCLC