From:
g raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Nov 2008 14:26:04 -0800
I third the suggestion of keeping food diary and to re-emphasize that it takes awhile to see results.. some babies don't improve until all milk products are removed from diet.. i.e." i don't eat milk except for in my coffee" sometimes isn't effective .. also this includes milk solids (e.g. nacho cheese flavored tortilla chips is a dairy product!) and many breads are made with milk powder... lactose is a common ingredient in processed foods as is whey...

i also tell moms that are going on elimination diet that in our culture we have a real emotional connection to dairy products (cheese toasties, ice cream, hot cup of tea, milk chocolate, cheese and onion crisps!)  so i prepare moms for a real grieving period as they adjust to life without milk... it usually takes about a month to get on track and realize that there are a lot of other great fantastic food out there that don't come from a cow.. !!  but i find that if mom can face this head on, then the diet is usually easier to follow and baby improves more quickly..

and again, to re-visit the topic of bovine products.. my third baby had terrible terrible gas from me eating beef.. so she may consider all bovine (including foods with bovine gelatin)....

i've seen this too many times to think it's anything other than dairy/beef that is the main culprit.

Have been supporting mother with baby with green poo... mother was block nursing as we thought it might be foremilk/hindmilk imbalance... but baby started breaking out in eczema... eliminated dairy and presto.. no more green poo or eczema...

some mothers also find great help with homeopathy too.

i struggled with this with two babies, personally too,, (oh how i miss cheese toasties!) so i wish her the best of luck..

kind regards
georgia