Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 2010 10:09:15 EDT

Ruth writes:

When  assessing a hospital, we look for: - no advertising, no free give
aways of  bottles, teats or artificial formulas.  (In fact in my 6 years of
assessing I have not seen any of this)
- that any artificial formula kept  for use for medical reasons (as per WHO
2009 acceptable medical reasons for  the use of breastmilk substitutes) is
in a locked cabinet or in a cabinet in a  room that is
closed access.
- that staff know what is an acceptable  medical reason for the use of the
artificial formula.

I a mother has  decided to not breastfeed that:
- she has been told about the risks of not  breastfeeding
- she has had time skin to skin with her baby after the birth  unless
there are medical reasons--the same for mothers who do plan  to  breastfeed.  It
can be difficult to have this happen in some
facilities due to staffing and caesarean birth.
- the mother and if  possible other adult members of the family have one on
one instruction on how  to make up the artificial formula.  Hospitals are
now keeping a tin that  is well marked and kept in a locked cabinet. (In two
hospitals I have seen the  type of formula has been covered by the sign, so
there is no promotion of  specific brands.)  They demonstrate how to make up
the feed.  This  is
then tossed out.  The mother then makes up her baby's feed from  the
artificial formula and bottle that she has brought into the hospital.
She is asked to keep the tin safe in her room to minimise possible
contamination, and how to clean and disinfect/sterilize bottles and  teats.

Ruth, I never thought I would use these two words in a sentence together,
but after reading your post about how mothers who choose formula are  dealt
with so intelligently with information and opportunity (rather than  fearing
the dreaded guilt and/or judgment if we do this), I am I think actually
drooling a bit...:) This seems so rational and right, do any US  hospitals do
something like this?
You go, girl!
Peace,
Judy