From:
Ros Escott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 1997 19:53:35 +0000
>With regard the Australian hold position, what I want to know, is how
>people go out and have a normal life if they feed using these
>positions?

I think you raise an important point.  Also, how do people go out and have
a normal life if they are dependent on pillows, on pumping after every
feed, using gadgets, etc.? We need to think about this when we make
suggestions to mothers.

Twelve years ago, I used the Australian position (which we called
posture feeding) for several weeks, but only for those fast gushing feeds
in the morning. Later in the day my storage/supply was lower and it was
not required.  If I was out I slowed down the gush by indenting the breast
with my finger/s - this worked very effectively. It was only necessary
for a minute or two at the start of a feed when the first let-down came.
At the same time, I used pressure from my forearm to stop the other side
leaking. I never had a blocked duct.