From:
Yvette Wassmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Feb 2006 14:52:27 -0500
My co-Leader received a call from a mother of a premature baby.  The baby
was born at 32 wks.  Is now 35.5 weeks.  He weighed 3 lbs 3.2 oz at birth.
He now weighs 3 lbs 14 oz.  He is fed fortifier/breastmilk. The doctor says
the mother is  holding/nursing the baby too long (45 mins to an hour).
When the mother would breastfeed the nurses would pop in every 10-20 mins,
interrupt her and want to shove a bottle in his mouth.

When asked when they could take their baby home-the response was "when you
increase your milk supply" . Her supply is up and NOW the answer is "we
don't like his weight gain these past few weeks".  The parents were never
told his weigh gain was a problem until then.  The mother heard through the
grapevine that there are two NICU nurses who are totally against
breastfeeding.  The mother feels that the nurses don't like her because she
is aggressive/proactive with her son and feeding habits.  In one incident,
the baby was being test weighed, when the scale hadn't stopped moving.  The
nurse took the baby off the scale and said "No, he didn't gain anything".

The mother is requesting an IBCLC.  She is willing to pay for the service.
She lives in Madisonville, KY.  I live about 45 miles away in Indiana.
What can a Leader/IBCLC do for her at this point?

Thank you for any information you can give me.

Sincerely,

Yvette