Date:
Tue, 10 Feb 1998 08:31:08 -0600
In my opinion, the last couple of days portrays Lactnet at our best.  Kim
Henson's disappointing turn of events with the hospital merger has brought
suggestions. Those of you who are, or have been, in hospital settings
remember the struggles and what works to facilitate change in the basic
approach of nursing staff. The suggestions have been most impressive.

Being in private practice, I could see it as an impossible task if I hadn't
seen it happen in my own community.  15 years ago, as a LLLL, I knew that
if a mom delivered at a certain hospital in our city she would be having
BIG problems with breastfeeding and her baby would certainly have had
several bottles of non-human milk before leaving the hospital. Some nurses
took "pride" in giving those LLL babies at least one bottle of the stuff.

But a dedicated and courageous LC has completely turned around that
hospital.  Now, I am delighted when I know a client is going to there, and
any problems that arise are certain to not be caused by "simple"
mismanagement. I'll have to ask her sometime just how long she has been
insinuating her wisdom into the minds of that staff.  Hers would be a
story, as many of yours', to inspire any hospital LC to believe in herself
and her co-workers.

Someone mentioned to Kim that she sounds burned out.  I recommend a
get-away like I had this last weekend. I had been working too-long hours
for too many weeks.  Every day was heavy.  Then I went to a retreat with a
family organization that I have belonged to for 10 years.  It was 145 miles
away and deep in the woods at a simple/lovely camp. There were about 150
people there.

I came back rejuvenated, and Monday morning as I looked at my list of 11
clients to contact or see that day, I felt "up" for it, not burdened. The
sense of crisis and urgency was tempered by my better perspective.

I had waited so long to take a break because I *didn't have time* to go
away, but being a speaker on the program (not about lactation !) forced me
to go and I am most grateful. And the change of focus in preparing my
session was great too.

One "funny" thing happened.  There were children there whose ages ranged
from 4 months to teen-age.  On Saturday the director told me that there was
a mom there with a 4 month old who (mom) was having sore nipples.  She knew
that I was on a much-needed break but would I talk with the mom.  Of course
I did.  She said that baby had been sick with a high fever and was given
antibiotics, after which he developed a terribly inflamed diaper area.  He
was very fussy, which was unusual for him.  I asked about her sore nipples
and she said that her breast was even more was sore--burning deep inside...
Shall I put this puzzle out on Lactnet? :)

I had left behind 4 clients treating yeast overgrowth and I thought I was
getting away from the current epidemic, but apparently the Yeasty Beasties
tracked me 145 miles, off freeways, down tiny roads, and into the woods. I
gotta drive faster next time.

The grateful mom was going to her family phys. on Monday. And what she did
at the camp, was rinse with a solution of 1 T. of white vinegar in 1 C. of
water after feeding.  She said there was some relief of the nipple and
areola discomfort.

All of this is to encourage Kim (and any of the rest of you) to get away to
something that is unrelated to our work, and that can nurture yourselves.

Patricia Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee
mailto:[log in to unmask]