From:
Sue Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jan 2008 17:01:13 -0500
Hi Susan,

A diagnosis of gdm can be surprisingly upsetting.  It can be a "mourning the
loss of the healthy self" kind of reaction. But, as a gdm survivor, I can
tell you that you will get through it just fine. It will probably inspire
you to be healthier as you and your family grow.

Usually blood glucoses below 40 will inspire hospital staff to supplement or
use iv therapy. BUT  usually babies' whose moms had well maintained prenatal
glucoses do not have problems with hypoglycemia.  Be sure that if the
nursery checks your baby's glucose that they use glucose monitoring devices
for newborns - not for adults.  Newborns have high iron blood levels
(hematocrits/hemoglubins) that can sometimes cause inaccurate readings if
used on adult type glucose strips.

Bug your provider to have you talk with an RD CDE about your blood sugars.
They usually get more challenging to control as the pregnancy progress. But
it is very managable - walk, use the meter, and ask for help if your sugars
don't behave. Call if you need help finding resources  - toll free -
1-877-868-9473.

I work for Indian Health Services (DHHS) in Phoenix, AZ -  about 15-20% of
our moms have gdm or pre-existing dm - we have about 1000 deliveries per
year. One half of our adults coming for care have type 2 dm - we have about
250,000 visits per year.  It is scary stuff. Breastfeeding has been linked
with reduced risk for diabetes and its major risk factor, obesity for both
mom and baby. Supporting breastfeeding is part of our diabetes prevention plan.

Best wishes.
Sue Murphy, RD, MPH, CDE, IBCLC
Breastfeeding Support
Phoenix Indian Medical Center