From:
"Robin S. Musial" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 1995 10:32:10 EDT
Hi all,
Have a friend who developed adult onset diabetes.  She was initially controlled
with Micronase(Glyburide) and given diet instruction by the hospital's certified
diebetic counselor.  She started to diet and exercise lost considerable amount
of weight and was taken off the med and controlled with a diet.  She has since
become pregnant with her first child (mom age 35) the diabetes became
uncontrollable with diet and was put on insulin early in her pregnancy. She is
three weeks from due and wants to breastfeed and was told by the diabetic
counsellor that she would definately have to be on insulin while nursing.

I know she will have to watch her sugar levels closely, but will breastfeeding
absolutely require her to be on insulin?  I thought it was an individual
adjustment from case to case?  What is the possibility that she could again
controll the diabetes with diet and exercise?  If she would need to take
medication could the Micronase be tried again or is it contraindicated with
breastfeeding?

Please help shead some light for me.  TIA
Robin Musial RN IBCLC
Columbus, IN