From:
Louise Dumas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Oct 1998 23:56:08 -0400
Teresa wrote:"Okay, here's something that is (I think) positive. I'm
from Oakville,
Ontario, Canada - near Toronto....Women initiating breastfeeding
(approximately - this is going by my memory) 85%; Women still
breastfeeding  at 10 weeks (time of follow-up call) -approximately 62%
(this is EXCLUSIVE breastfeeding - another 12% or
something like that were doing both breast and bottlefeeding); Mean
length of breastfeeding - 27 weeks.
Anyway, the committee was pretty pleased. I'm not really sure how this
compares to other hospitals, though. "

Positive, you think!!!??? Fabulous! Great! Congratulations!!! Wow!
Canadian initiation rate is around 78% and this is counting the western
provinces high rates, since Ontario, Quebec, and the eastern provinces
don't do so well...so great results and do continue in this direction!!!

Louise Dumas, R.N., M.S.N., PhD
Professor-researcher in Nursing Sciences
University of Quebec in Hull
(Western Quebec)