From:
Kathy Boggs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jun 2006 12:29:14 EDT
Nina writes: Did the test weigh change anything about the way you managed
this case or
did it just put a number (of ccs) onto an existing diagnosis of  insufficient
intake?

It helped me to feel confident about my "dx" of low milk supply. There was
no question that there was poor intake early on but when I saw mom after
readmission, breasts were "normally" full and breastfeeding looked effective. I
might have concluded on day 4 and 5 all was well, if I hadn't performed the test
 wts and the baby could have gone home spiraling down into the same poor
intake  situation. Or, conversely, I could have had her pumping and supplementing
for  nothing if the milk transfer and supply had been good. Test weighing
helped  me, in the context of a full breastfeeding evaluation to sort this out.
It's a tool I use sometimes to validate what I think I see. I only use it if
there is a question of milk transfer.  Paula Meier has a study which shows
the most experienced LC's are not great judges of milk transfer. I think I'm
pretty good but I've been fooled. This would have been one of those  situations.
 I agree that it was clear that baby was not getting enough  breast milk
early on before i met the couplet. But by the time I saw them  breastfeeding
looked really good. Test weighing disputed what I saw. Without it  I would have
thought all was well and would have just recommended frequent  breastfeeding on
cue.

Kathy Boggs, RN, IBCLC