Date:
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 12:29:25 EDT
It was said:

> An older LC whom I have always considered very wise spoke at a conference I
> went to years ago about how gas was a biproduct of digestion of protein.

I actually think the gas is a by-product of carbohydrates -- and some carbs
actually have more gas producing whatevers in them than others (think refried
beans, cabbage).  In fact, anyone who has ever been on a low carbohydrate way
of eating finds that one of the nicer side effects of the diet is that there
is much less gas, less bloating, less discomfort overall.

So while I think the rest of the post is right on -- the fact that the baby
now has gas means that the baby is getting food -- it's the carbohydrate
portion of the colostrum/breastmilk, not the protein that is causing the gas.
 And of course, I think it is important to look and see how much the baby is
crying and/or sucking on a pacifier.  Both of which can increase gas as well.

Though whoever posted originally (sorry -- I don't remember who it was) said
that she was seeing an INCREASE in the number of babies with signficant gas
in the first couple of days of life, isn't that correct?  I don't know what
would account for that -- and I personally haven't noticed it among my
clients.

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC -- Wheaton IL
 -- who is also flying to Richmond next week, Lord willing!
Lactation Education Consultants
www.lactationeducationconsultants.com