Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2007 13:18:28 EST

Kristen said:

<<Hi all. Looking for  evidence to support what I believe is correct: that
pumping should be  initiated within 6 (?) hours after birth when infant
cannot feed at breast,  i.e. mother infant separation. Can't remember
where I came up with that.  Thanks for your help.>>

Why wait that long?  One of  the reasons we have moms put the baby to breast
within an hour of birth is  because there is a bolus of colostrum available to
him/her, related to the work  of the oxytocin.  If you pump, you can get that
same bolus.  If you  don't, and wait 6 or 8 hours to pump, the bolus is
shunted back up the ductile  tree, and you will only get drops -- or dampness
around the flange.   Meanwhile, if the baby can't go to breast, but can be fed, he
is getting  formula because there is no expressed milk available for  him.

One of my pet peeves that this is not done routinely for all  moms unless
they are in dire medical straits.  There is no specific  "research" on this (that
is yet published), but people that do it routinely find  that the minimum
they get in that first hour is about 20 to 30 ml.  Linda  Kutner, who pushes this
at her hospital in NC, says once they got 4 ounces --  but that's rather
unusual!!  She does say that the next time the mom pumps,  she gets drops -- but
at least they got the bolus which will sustain the baby  until more expressed
milk can be obtained.

No sense in waiting.  If baby can't nurse, get pumping  immediately!!!

Jan Barger, RN, MA,  IBCLC
_Lactation  Education Consultants_
(http://www.lactationeducationconsultants.com/)
_My blog_ (http://www.motherofbridebyjan.blogspot.com/)