From:
Maureen Minchin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Feb 1997 04:17:02 +1100
>If you had a choice, would you wish to ban those legally and/or otherwise
associated with formula manufacturers from joining Lactnet. Yes? Or No?

No. They are people capable of learning; who knows what the outcome of
learning may ever be. We have no reason to be afraid of them or their
arguments. I'd even encourage them to be brave enough to put their point of
most surprising people. And it's silly to make rules you can't police: an
unenforceable law is a bad law was what I was taught many years ago, and I
still think it true.

Besides, where and how do we draw the line? Would we ban a prominent
paediatrician or LC who makes videos that improve company image and promote
bottle feeding as safe and effective, or hope he/she might read Lactnet and
re-consider? Or ban them only if they are paid to make videos? ban them if
they accept free registration and accommodation at company-sponsored bean
fests? How do we know? Why waste our time?

Mind you, we have a splendid group of ABMers on Lactnet already: members of
the Academy of BF Medicine. We'd be the poorer to lose them, so can we not
use abm as an acronym for artificial feeding/formula?

Maureen

Maureen Minchin, IBCLC
5 St, George's Rd., Armadale Vic 3143 Australia
tel/fax after March 1: 61.3.95094929 or 95000648