From:
wannablc <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Dec 1997 08:26:09 PST
are put down.
I would suggest that the reason is that the child is in a REM sleep. While
in REM sleep we are more vulnerable to waking.  Stimulus for waking in the
infant can be cold, hunger, pain or BEING ALONE.
Infants sleep differently than adults they spend much more of their sleep
time in REM(45%-50%) wheras adults spend 20%. When an adult falls a sleep
they spend a vey brief period in REM and then almost immediately enter a
deep sleep where they are not vulnerable to waking stimulus.This pattern is
considered sleep maturity which comes around the 2nd and  3rd year of life.
So your statement "this too shall pass" is correct. The infant when they
fall asleep enter a relatively long period of REM 20 mins, (don't put the
baby down til you're sure he has enterd deep sleep) then they enter a short
period of transitional sleepand THEN they enjoy a short period of deep
sleep.This is the completion of one sleep cycle then they go back to REM
where they are again vulnerable to waking stimulus.
The initial period of REM may start to shorten at 3mos but can take longer.
The avg adult has a 90min sleep cycle 4x per night with the REM stage
lenghthening as the night progresses and the deep sleep stage shortening.
In the child they avg a 50 - 60min sleep cycle up to 8x per night.
Adults sleep very differentlyand we go  more easily from an awake sttate
into a deep non REM sleep.
I hope this info is helpful, I have more detailed info if you want it.
I also really recommend Dr William Sears book"Nighttime Parenting". Which
explores this subject to the enth degree.

PS, babies love to suck during REM!

DEB LEASK
PORTLAND ME