From:
Nancy Jo Ericksen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 2004 11:26:36 EDT
Jeanette,
I wholeheartedly agree that a letter to the local agency is in order.
Would like to mention that my now 19 year old daughter, who breastfed for 5
years, early on indicated a preference for one breast. She went on to nurse
without problems and grew very well. I was a little lopsided though!
I even relactated at 18 months, as I had begun weaning her when she developed
asthma. This was the first time that she ever had problems and I now
attribute it to introducing milks solids to her diet. (My older daughter was extremely
allergic to milk solids (breastfed only 2 months) so should have anticipated
this but didn't.
SO long story short: it is possible to breastfeed using only 1 breast and
providing no supplements.
The "local agency" needs to hear rationale evidence based info that shows
that the advice the nurse gave is not correct.
Nancy Jo Ericksen