From:
Rhoda Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Dec 1997 20:04:15 -0800
I find the pillow discussion quite interesting. Specific nursing pillows are
extremely difficult to locate here and are really only used by moms of
multiples who can borrow them from the local support group.  However I use
pillows all the time to lift babies. In fact I use whatever comes to hand.
Big teddy bears are great for wee ones with poor tone (the legs give extra
support).  I have also used stuffed ducks/chickens/bunnies, knitted clowns,
blankets, towels or whatever there is available. Most if not all of the moms
I see have NO money for extra food let alone pillows but stuffed animals are
often given as gifts.  I also encourage the use of footstools and again have
used whatever there is.  Many times it is car seats tipped up, or books, or
boxes or cases of empty beer bottles (perfect size tipped on the side) or
for a taller mom a six pack. Often the clients get a good laugh, but it
works and is practical.  And yes I do comment on alcohol consumption and
infant care.
>"Without interest and passion, nothing great has ever happened in history.
GWF Hegel"
             Rhoda Taylor, B.A., IBCLC, Duncan, B.C., Canada<