From:
caballo azul <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2007 12:24:13 -0600
Hello
I'm Ana in Mexico. I want to write my personal experience. My family has
many allergies. My first son was partially breastfed until he was 8.5 months
old. He used to eat large amounts of solid foods when he was weaned (I
weaned him for ignorance and social pressure). After I weaned him, he had
diarrhea until he was one year old. He had several tests done, (parasitic)
he had antibiotics, and we never figured out what it was, we made many
changes to his food, without success, It subsided when he was a year old.

My second child was exclusively breastfed, and I was determined to breastfed
him for as long as possible. When he was 6 months old, I began giving
complementary natural baby foods, like fruit and vegetables and baby cereal,
but he never wanted more than a spoon. When he was 10 months old, he had
lots of ear infections, and he had an allergic reaction to amoxicillin, you
can see picture here, (don't see it if you are sensitive)
http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-2JN98d4ydLwD4w97BelHSQ--?cq=1
He was very fussy form the time he was an infant, and had hives around his
mouth when he ate cheese for the first time, so I decided to avoid any cow's
milk.
When he was 30 months old, he had lots of colds and continuous nose mucus,
to the point he had a constant cut under his nose. He had lots of rashes on
his diaper, and hives. We tested him for allergies, and he was allergic to
cow's milk, soy, beef, apple, carrot, (regular baby foods!) corn, wheat, and
many ambient allergies.
When he was a year old, he wouldn't eat more than a spoonful of anything,
once a day, so he was mostly breastfed. He weighed 8.8 kg (19.36 pounds),
which is percentile 49.5 by the WHO growth standards, his BMI was 17.2 He
began walking at 11 months old. He began eating lots of food when he was 21
months old, when I was pregnant with my third child, and my supply
diminished. He weaned naturally when he was 3.5 years old

My third child is a girl, and she was also exclusively breastfed. I was very
cautious when she was born so she didn't receive ant formula, because I
wanted to avoid any sensitization, because her brother was allergic to cow's
milk. At 3 months old she had bronchiolitis, and developed a constant
wheezing. She had eczema from the time she was 6 months old. Appeared and
disappeared. When she was 6 months old I tried to give her some fruit, but
she definitely rejected it. You can see pictures here
http://cozybebe.multiply.com/photos/album/2
She was very late in her motor development, began crawling around the time
when she was a year old, also putting weight on her feet. She began walking
when she was 18 months old.  I offered food constantly, but she rejected it
completely, and it made her gag. She was completely uninterested in food for
a very long time, and I was worried, because I didn't know how long it would
be ok for her to be exclusively breastfed. I think she had some kind of oral
aversion. When she was a year old, she weighed 8 kg (17.6 pounds) percentile
26.4 in the WHO growth standards, and measured 70 cm (27.5 inches)
percentile 26.4 in the WHO growth standards. Her BMI was 16. You can see
pictures of her when she was a year old, so you can see she didn't look
starved http://cozybebe.multiply.com/photos/album/3 this is a girl 99.9%
breastfed at a year old

I know all of this is anecdotic, but I wanted to share. Regards
Ana in Mexico
LLLL