Date:
Sat, 28 Apr 2007 21:20:35 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
Hi Wise Ones, 

Maybe someone can help me understand this situation:
Out of the last 5 or so newborns that I've seen in home visits, 4 have had what I *think* is some sort of restricted movement of their tongue. 
It has looked a little different in each case, one that would try to stretch the tongue and the muscles would bulge to one side, one with obvious frenulum, lots of probs nursing (and mom had speech probs). 
I'll focus on the  one I saw today as the details are most fresh in my mind; Mom c/o 'baby just won't open wide to latch'. Nipples are sore and bleeding a bit on ends. Baby healthy full term natural birth 7 lb 10 oz, 8 days old. 
We adjusted assym. latch, position, did RPS to soften areola. But it's just as she says; Baby does not open very wide, and when I was there baby had a fair amt of sleepiness on the breast. Not swallowing as often as I'd like to see, but she's nursing about 12 times per 24 H and 5 good sized BMs per day . So I'm not too worried about intake *yet*, but will follow her and we will watch for decreasing supply.
When I observed baby, her tongue could come out fairly well. And she could open her mouth wide. But not at the same time- in other words, tongue could not extend when mouth open wide. Also, when she cried, her tongue only reached about half way up to the roof of her mouth. Underneath her tongue, I did not see a little  band of tissue in the middle holding it down, but did see thick tissue all across the middle which seemed to me farther forward than usual. 
My questions: 
Am I "over-diagnosing" tongue tie type problems, or is it possible that these Moms are having problems because of various frenulum 'differences'? Do others really see this so often?

What are some ways you talk to parents about short frenulums? I think I'm communicating sensitively but I can visibly see the moms, esp, withdraw when I mention it.....I don't blame them, but wondering if others have tips about talking to the parents. 

Thanks so much, 
Mary Taylor, LLLL, IBCLC, who is going to search out some newborns who are nursing well and look under *their* tongues. 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
Mail all commands to [log in to unmask]
To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or [log in to unmask])
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet or ([log in to unmask])
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2